I DID IT! I did the 70.3 Ironman St. George course “training” this weekend. The actual event is May 4, 2013. I am still amazed!! I was so scared. This morning my daughter said “Mom, you are waddling!” Yup, sweetheart I am. But it’s a great waddle!
This was more than I had ever done distance wise. It was a transformational weekend for me mentally for several reasons:
1. I needed to run and bike the course so I could know if I could do it. This course is hard!! One of the hardest is the series. Mentally, I was TERRIFIED if I could even do it. NOW I KNOW I CAN!! The bike was CRAZY! Check out this elevation.
See that very high part on the elevation map. IT’S as brutal as it looks. Just sayin.
IRONMAN 70.3 St. George has been designated as the official IRONMAN 70.3 U.S. Pro Championship in 2013 and 2014. The race, scheduled for Saturday, May 4, 2013, shifts the pro championship from early April in Galveston, Texas, to St. George in southwest Utah. “St. George is one of the most scenic and challenging venues on the IRONMAN 70.3 circuit,” said WTC’s Steve Meckfessel, Managing Director of Global Race Operations. Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2012/08/70.3-u.s.-pro-championship.aspx#ixzz2IdaWevyd
Hey I’ll be part of this awesome race this year! Maybe spot a pro or two! :)
2. I trained with some of the most amazing people I’ve ever met. Julie, Jodi, Nichole, Brad, Gordon, Kristen, & Bart. I am honored to train and know these incredible people!! We had fun, talked & laughed through the pain! Tri Living It is awesome! Thank Nichole & Brad for all you do for us!
Running doesn’t have to be boring! Cartwheels and fun!
3. I am more motivated to do this than ever before. Now that I’ve done it, I want to DO it better. I am so motived to eat better and train harder. I want to not only DO THIS but do it great! Excited to go back again in 4 weeks for another training weekend with my pals. My training is really working. Not that I doubted my coach. I doubted myself. Not anymore. Workouts are getting 200%
4. And most important this weekend was my generous, loving and amazing husband! He ran support for us on the bike and run and he was amazing. Always around the corner to help us shed clothes, with water, food, cheers, helping us change tires, YOU NAME IT! His support for our team and for me was so incredible. Words can’t even describe what it means to me because I tear up. Love that man!!! THANK YOU SWEETHEART!!
5. I need to learn to change a tire. I also need to “not” test my tire with my thumb. Haha! Thanks for the tip Nichole.
6. I need to shed many more pounds so I don’t have it haul it on the course.
7. I took an ice bath for the first time. Actually, I did it twice. I thought “no way,” but my coach Nichole demanded it. So I did. I am so glad I did. It was horrible at first, then you go numb and it’s not so bad. Doing so allowed me to bike the next day, if not, I know my body and it would have not been a pretty sight. Here’s a good article on why you should do ice baths after big workouts. This was me during my ice bath. I am confident the hotel residents around us thought I was being murdered. Did I mention I sat in this ice bath for 15 minutes? Thanks honey for helping me get through that. I am a convert. There are more ice baths in my future, screaming and all.
8. I LOVE my Altra running shoes. This was the first time I really put them to the test and they rocked it. Wish my feet would be better in any shoe. I did end up with a nasty blister, even using moleskin. UGH!! My stupid feet. It really doesn’t matter what I do, blisters love me.
9. I learned about cold weather and layering for bike and run. Most important I was warm! Swim Bike Mom has a great blog post about what to wear. I am lacking a wind jacket. A must find one during these winter clearance sales.
10. I learned to give myself more credit. I am hard on myself. I need to keep being hard, and also give credit to my victories. This weekend was a victory. A weekend I will NEVER forget!!
A few random side notes: Light Muscle Milk with Protein is a YUMMY post recovery drink, I love that I get to eat a salted nut roll on my bike, foam mattresses are like sleeping on concrete and the Claim Jumper restaurant in St. George is blah.